Code of Ethics
Community Youth Council (CYC)
COACHES’ CODE OF ETHICS
Since its inception, CYC has striven to provide a positive environment for its participants through the various athletic programs that it has sponsored. CYC emphasizes the importance of building their self-esteem and confidence, teaching them sportsmanship and teamwork, and helping in their social and moral development. It is within this context that the following code of ethics is presented.
As a basketball coach, I understand that it is my responsibility and duty to:
- Show respect for players, officials, and other coaches.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials.
- Establish and model fair play, sportsmanship, and proper conduct.
- Establish player safety and welfare as the highest priority.
- Provide proper supervision of players at all times.
- Use discretion when providing constructive criticism and when reprimanding players.
- Maintain consistency in requiring all players to adhere to the established rules and standards of the game to be played.
- Instruct players in the safe use of equipment used.
- Insure that no pressure is placed on the players to win or lose the game.
- Encourage players to strive for the highest possible level of scholastic achievement possible.
- Discourage any player from the use of alcohol, tobacco, illegal and non-prescriptive drugs, anabolic steroids, or any substance to increase physical development or performance that is not approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration, Surgeon General of the United States, or American Medical Association.
- Practice moral principles and avoid recruitment of athletes from other teams.
- Follow the rules of behavior and the procedures for crowd control as established by CYC, as well as the rules of the facilities that CYC utilizes.
- The use of profanity, inappropriate behavior, offensive language or gestures will result in expulsion from CYC.
I have read the CYC Coaches’ Code of Ethics and will abide by it. I understand that failure to do so WILL result in the imposition of disciplinary action, as described in guidelines and/or actions deemed appropriate by the CYC Chairman. A copy of this signed form is given to the CYC chairman.